The popular series of monthly concerts in the galleries featuring young artists from the Cleveland Institute of Music and the joint program with Case Western Reserve University’s early & baroque music programs enters its fourth season. Outstanding conservatory musicians present mixed programs of chamber music amidst the museum’s collections for a unique and intimate experience—concerts which regularly feature instruments from the museum’s keyboard collection.
From standard repertoire to unknown gems, these early evening, hour-long performances are a delightful after work encounter, or the start of a night out. These concerts are free to all, and programs are announced week of the concert in the museum’s website.
Steve Reich (b. 1936)
Performed by Union
Lara Hueter, Carlyn Kessler, Andrew Rosenblum, Andrew Stock and Rebecca Willett
* * *
Johann Sebastian Bach (1685–1750)
Partita for Violin No. 2, BWV 1004
Performed by Gabrielle Skinner, viola
* * *
Johannes Brahms (1833–1897)
String Quartet No. 1 in C minor, Op. 51, No. 1
II. Romanze. Poco adagio
III. Allegretto molto moderato e comodo
Performed by Zeitlin String Quartet
Dylan Kennedy and Nina Sandberg, violin; Christianna Bates, viola; David Olson, cello
* * *
Venezuelan Folk Tunes
Performed by Rubén Rengel, violin
About the Performers
Performers on this evening’s program are all students and alumni from the Cleveland Institute of Music.
Union is a Cleveland-based collective of current students and recent alumni of the Cleveland Institute of Music devoted to engaging audiences with new music in accessible venues throughout NE Ohio and beyond.
- Christianna Bates, viola, is an undergraduate student in the studio of Mark Jacobs from Mullica Hill, NJ.
- Lara Hueter (Union), timpani and percussion, an undergraduate student in the studios of Richard Weiner and Paul Yanchich from Marietta, GA.
- Dylan Kennedy, violin, is an undergraduate student in the studio of Ivan Zenaty from Victor, NY.
- Carlyn Kessler (Union), cello, a graduate student in the studio of Sharon Robinson from Westport, CT.
- David Olson, cello, is an undergraduate student in the studio of Stephen Geber from Ashford, CT.
- Rubén Rengel, violin, an undergraduate student in the studio of Jaime Laredo from Caracas, Venezuela.
- Andrew Rosenblum (Union), piano, is a staff pianist and a 2014 CIM alumnus with graduate degrees in harpsichord and collaborative piano.
- Nina Sandberg, violin, is an undergraduate student in the studio of David Updegraff from Houston, TX.
- Gabrielle Skinner, viola, an undergraduate student of Kirsten Docter from Stafford, VA.
- Andrew Stock (founder, Union), composition and viola, and undergraduate student in the studios of Keith Fitch and Jeffrey Irvine from St. Louis, MO.
- Rebecca Willett (Union), piano, an undergraduate student in the studio of Kathryn Brown from Virginia Beach, VA.