Robert P. Bergman Curator of Medieval Art
Stephen Fliegel is responsible for the museum’s internationally renowned collection of medieval art.
He is currently researching an exhibition on Philip the Good, the 3rd Valois Duke of Burgundy (1419–1467). Since joining the museum in 1982, he has organized numerous exhibitions, including The Decorated Letter and the Illuminator’s Art (1993) and The Manuscript Collection of Jeanne Miles Blackburn (2000). He was the organizer and curator of a major international loan exhibition shown at the museum in 2004–2005 entitled Dukes & Angels: Art from the Court of Burgundy, organized jointly with the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Dijon, France. He has also served as curator for the exhibitions Treasures of a Lost Art (2003), Imperial Austria: Arms and Armor from the Landeszeughaus, Graz (2008), and The Caporali Missal (2013). In 1998 he was responsible for the reinstallation of the museum’s Armor Court and its collection of 300 pieces of European arms and armor as well as the publication of the catalogue Arms & Armor: The Cleveland Museum of Art (2nd ed., 2008).
His research interests include manuscript illumination, Gothic sculpture and metalwork, art of the migration period, and European arms and armor. He has conducted research at many of the world’s leading repositories of medieval manuscripts, including the British Library, Vatican Library, Bodleian Library (Oxford), Bibliothèque Nationale (Paris), Marciana Library (Venice), Wren Library (Cambridge), National Library of Spain (Madrid), Fellows' Library (Eton), and Library of Winchester Cathedral, keeper of The Great Winchester Bible.
Fliegel’s publications include Sacred Meaning in the Christian Art of the Middle Ages (2004), Sacred Gifts and Worldly Treasures (2007), Resplendent Faith: Liturgical Treasuries of the Middle Ages (2009), A Higher Contemplation (2012), the exhibition catalogue The Caporali Missal (2013), and Myth & Mystique: Cleveland's Gothic Table Fountain (2016).
Born in England, he was educated at the University of Sheffield in Yorkshire, where he was awarded BA and MA degrees in medieval English history and art history in 1975 and 1977. This was followed by the Museum Diploma in Fine Arts from the University of Manchester in 1979. He completed special subject courses in paleography and manuscript studies in Winchester and Eton, prior to teaching in Lincolnshire in the early 1980s.